TrendingVideosIndia
Opinions | CommentEditorialsThe MiddleLetters to the EditorReflections
UPSC | Exam ScheduleExam Mentor
State | Himachal PradeshPunjabJammu & KashmirHaryanaChhattisgarhMadhya PradeshRajasthanUttarakhandUttar Pradesh
City | ChandigarhAmritsarJalandharLudhianaDelhiPatialaBathindaShaharnama
World | ChinaUnited StatesPakistan
Diaspora
Features | The Tribune ScienceTime CapsuleSpectrumIn-DepthTravelFood
Business | My MoneyAutoZone
News Columns | Straight DriveCanada CallingLondon LetterKashmir AngleJammu JournalInside the CapitalHimachal CallingHill View
Don't Miss
Advertisement

Suu Kyi faces new charge as junta intensifies crackdown

Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium

Take your experience further with Premium access. Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Yearly Premium ₹999 ₹349/Year
Yearly Premium $49 $24.99/Year
Advertisement

Yangon, February 16

Advertisement

Police in Myanmar filed a new charge against ousted leader Aung San Suu Kyi, her lawyer said on Tuesday, in a move that may allow her to be held indefinitely without trial as part of an intensifying crackdown by authorities who seized power in a February 1 coup.

Advertisement

Charge fabricated, says boris Johnson

British PM Boris Johnson said new charges against former Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi had been fabricated by the military and were a clear violation of her human rights. We support citizens, he said. Reuters

Sanctions not needed: Singapore minister

Advertisement

Singapore’s foreign minister said the Myanmar situation was alarming but he did not support widespread sanctions on the country in response to the coup there, which could hurt ordinary citizens. Reuters

The new charge was for breaking a law that has been used to prosecute people who have violated Covid restrictions, lawyer Khin Maung Zaw said after meeting with a judge in a court in Naypyitaw. Because of changes to the Penal Code instituted by the junta last week, it could allow her to be detained indefinitely without court permission.

Also read: UN expert fears violence with troops sent to Myanmar city

Meanwhile, the military assured people that it would hold an election and hand over power to the civilian government. “Our objective is to hold an election and hand power to the winning party,” Brigadier General Zaw Min Tun, spokesman for the ruling council, said.

Since the February 1 coup, the junta has ratcheted up the pressure on protesters resisting the takeover, including breaking up some demonstrations and ordering internet access blocked.

Meanwhile, long queues of people were seen at the Central Bank amid speculation online that the military was seeking to seize money from it. — Agencies

Advertisement
Show comments
Advertisement