Tribune News Service
Lucknow, November 19
Declaring 50 of its 75 districts as drought-hit, the Uttar Pradesh Government has suspended the recovery of all dues from farmers with immediate effect.
A state government spokesperson said no recoveries would be made from farmers till March 31, 2016. The district magistrates had been told to put in place contingency plans for drought relief, he added. Strict instructions have been issued not to harass farmers for the debt recovery.
The affected districts, spread evenly across the state, either received less than 60 per cent rain from June to September this year or more than 33 per cent crops have been destroyed.
Following a drought review meeting on September 2 chaired by Chief Secretary Alok Ranjan the departments of irrigation, power, minor irrigation and agriculture were asked to assess the situation and submit a report in 15 days.
Following their preliminary report, a Natural Calamity Committee was set up on October 29 that decided to declare these districts as drought-hit.
Admn, MC told to give Rs10 lakh to kin
Hassled by abrupt shutdown of PG accommodations
Focus on need for accommodation of students in houses and th...
Manufacturers are of view that this time also industry negle...
Contribute out of their savings deposited in banks
This was expected as the ruling dispensation’s coffers are e...
Complete project on a war footing: Residents