600-mw Kishau power project gets a go-ahead

SHIMLA: The Cabinet today gave a green signal to the 660 mw Kishau multipurpose project (a joint venture of Himachal and Uttarakhand) on the Tons river.

600-mw Kishau power project gets a go-ahead

Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh presides over the Cabinet meeting in Shimla on Wednesday. A Tribune photo

editorial@tribune.com

Bhanu P Lohumi

Tribune News Service

Shimla, May 27

The Cabinet today gave a green signal to the 660 mw Kishau multipurpose project (a joint venture of Himachal and Uttarakhand) on the Tons river.

Nod is given to the MoU finalised at a meeting of senior officials in Dehradun on May 16.

The Rs 10,500 crore project had already been cleared with 90 per cent funding by the Centre while the remaining 10 per cent was to be shared by the Himachal and Uttarakhand governments.

As per terms of the MOU, the partner states will share profit in 50:50 ratio. The same principle will be applied while generating power from the dam in the future.

After the capacity of the project was increased from 600 MW to 660 MW, Himachal wanted its share in the downstream projects, in addition to 50 per cent share in the Kishau project. The matter was resolved in the meeting held on May 16.

The project envisages construction of a 680-m long and 236-m high concrete gravity dam, 45 km upstream of Dak Pathar at the fringe of the Ichari reservoir.

The reservoir will extend upstream 44.5 km and the total area submerged in the two states will be of 2,950 hectares.

Nine villages in Uttarakhand and eight villages of Sirmour in Himachal will be totally or partially submerged. The dam will have a total storage capacity of 1,824 million cubic metres and the live storage will be 1,324 million cubic metres.

The project will generate 1,851 million units of power annually and the release of water from the dam during the lean season will augment generation in the downstream power projects.

Cities

View All

Rain relief: Work begins on laying 3-km pipeline

Rs 7.63-crore project will be completed by November 28

Safai karamchari panel chief inspects Faridkot medical college

Expresses concern over cleanliness condition

Mohali Cong councillor held on charge of rape

Nabbed by Jaipur police during raid at his house in Sector 7...

29 girls were putting up at PG, each paid Rs 10,000 a month

Operators paid Rs 1.25 lakh as rent to owner; were making a ...

PG to-let boards disappear in Chandigarh

Fearing action from UT Administration, operators remove thes...

Erring colleges to face music

They can’t hold degrees of beneficiary students failing to p...

Mayor calls urgent House meet over recruitment of sewermen

Appeals to residents to cooperate with MC till issue gets re...

Week-long drive to mark Women’s Day from March 2

DC forms high-power sub-panel for smooth conduct of events