Live wire set up to ward off animals claims life

UNA: Sanjeev Kumar (40), a resident of Bhadauri village in Haroli sub-division, died early today morning after coming in contact with a live electricity wire.

editorial@tribune.com

Our Correspondent

UNA, AUGUST 12

Sanjeev Kumar (40), a resident of Bhadauri village in Haroli sub-division, died early today morning after coming in contact with a live electricity wire. The wire had been set up by another local farmer Succha Singh to protect his crops from damage by wild animals. The latter has been arrested by the police.

According to information received, Sanjeev Kumar woke up at about 3 am after he was disturbed by unrelenting barking of dogs. Just as he proceeded to inquire into nearby fields, he came in contact with the live wire and was electrocuted before anybody could react.

Some farmers put up steel wires along the periphery of their fields in order to protect the standing crops from damage by wild animals and stray cattle. During the night, they connect these wires to electrical mains to ward off wild animals.

There have been incidents of loss of human lives due to such live wires. Besides, cattle and other wild species keep dying after coming in contact with such illegal systems.

The police said the body of the deceased has been handed over to the relatives after a postmortem examination. A criminal case under relevant Sections of IPC has been registered against accused Succha Singh.

Cities

View All

Namesakes go for a ‘literary wedding’ in Bathinda

Book stall set up at the venue; two plays staged to mark occ...

MC meet a stormy affair

Councillors across parties protest against stray catttle men...

Farmers want ‘Red Circle’ entries in revenue records withdrawn

Block GT Road on Day 3 of protest; submit memo to SDM

Celebrations turn tragic as three students die in mishap

Were going on bike to celebrate their success in 2nd-yr MBBS...

NRI alumni transform govt school in village

Two brothers had spent Rs1.35 cr for new building, flooring,...