Montreal, August 12
Rafael Nadal completed a 6-3 6-0 demolition of Russian Daniil Medvedev to win in Montreal on Sunday and extend his record haul of Masters 1000 titles.
The world No. 2 secured his 35th Masters crown, pulling clear of Novak Djokovic’s 33 of the elite tournaments.
Claycourt king Nadal successfully defended a hard court title for the first time in his career.
“It was important to start the match in a good shape,” the 18-time Grand Slam winner said. “He came in playing so well, playing a lot of matches the last weeks,” Nadal added of Medvedev, who was runner-up to Nick Kyrgios in Washington last week.
Nadal, in contrast, had played just three hard court matches since starting his build up to the US Open this week — reaching the final on a walkover when injured Gael Monfils pulled out of their scheduled semifinal.
“I played a solid match, my best of the week so far without a doubt,” Nadal said. “I did a lot of things well: changing directions, changing rhythm during the point. The slice worked well this afternoon. I think I played smart, I had a good feeling on the ball.”
With all that going for him, Nadal needed just 70 minutes to subdue Medvedev, breaking the Russian four times. The top seed, who now owns five Canadian title dating to 2005, swept the last seven games in the hardcourt blowout against his 23-year-old Russian opponent — who had never played Nadal before.
“I’ve played Roger (Federer) two times, Novak (Djokovic) four times,” Medvedev said. “I knew how it was going to be, I was kind of ready for it. But I didn’t manage to probably show my best tennis. Rafa was incredible today, congrats to him.”
Despite the lopsided defeat, Medvedev was pleased with his time in Toronto. — AFP
35TH Masters crown takes Rafael Nadal two clear of world No. 1 Novak Djokovic’s 33 wins in the elite tournaments
- "I played a solid match, my best of the week. I think I played smart, I had a good feeling on the ball."— Rafael Nadal
- "I knew how it was going to be, I was kind of ready for it. Rafa was incredible today."— Daniil Medvedev
Nadal pulls out of Cincinnati Masters
Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the Cincinnati Masters for the second year in a row after lifting ATP Montreal trophy for US Open preparation. “I am very sorry to announce that I won’t be playing in Cincinnati this year,” Nadal posted on Facebook. “No other reason than personally taking care of my body and trying to keep as healthy as I feel now. I’m sure the tournament will be a success and I wish him all the best.”
Murray ready for singles return
Andy Murray on Sunday pronounced himself ready to go as he prepared to resume his singles career with a first-round test at the Cincinnati Masters. “I’m feeling good, I’ve had three of four good practice sessions,” said Murray, a three-time Grand Slam champion who’s ranking has nosedived to 325th in the world. “I have zero pain. I’m not expecting to move as well as I used to. There is still some improvement to be made, though it will take time.”
Andreescu pulls out
Canadian teenager Bianca Andreescu made history with a Toronto title yesterday and then withdrew from next week’s big date at the Cincinnati Masters. The 19-year-old who claimed the trophy when Serena Williams was unable to play more than four games before retiring with back spasms said “Thanks, but no thanks’ to any extra exertion in the US Open run-up,” she said. agencies
All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate. The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
CJI-led Bench reserves verdict on review plea of woman who a...
On his 150th birth anniv, family members want govt to step i...
Book stall set up at the venue; two plays staged to mark occ...
Councillors across parties protest against stray catttle men...
Block GT Road on Day 3 of protest; submit memo to SDM
34 two-wheelers, including 13 Bullet motorcycles, recovered
Estimates, with minor changes, will be sent to UT Admn
Were going on bike to celebrate their success in 2nd-yr MBBS...
Two brothers had spent Rs1.35 cr for new building, flooring,...
Offenders to face cancellation of passports & licences