Chandigarh, December 7
In a move that has left city residents fuming, the Municipal Corporation has started dumping bio-soil, produced after processing legacy waste at the Dadu Majra dumping ground, at 11 locations across the city.
According to an official order, SMS Limited is executing the work of biomining of legacy waste at the dumping ground. During the processing of garbage, bio-soil is produced. This is to be transferred to 11 locations for filling of low-lying areas of green belts in the city.
Chandigarh Smart City Limited has asked the civic body to depute nine tippers along with a JCB for the job.
The waste was found dumped in an open area in front of a residential area in Sector 50. Residents have raised concern over the move, saying the area would turn into another dumping site and cause foul smell.
“We condemn the MC move to dump residue near the residential area. Thousands of residents are affected by the foul smell in the Sector 50 and 63 area,” says Avtar Singh, president of a Sector 50 society.
Reeta Goyal, secretary, Bankers’ Society, Sector 50, says: “The stench is unbearable. What kind of processing is this? It makes no sense to lift garbage or its residue from one place and dump it at another. Residents are protesting the move as there is unpleasant smell in the area.”
Rajesh, another area resident, says the MC should not only stop dumping waste/residue here but also fence off the open ground from all sides to prevent people from dumping garbage and keep anti-social elements at bay.
Area councillor Rajesh Sharma told Chandigarh Tribune: “No dumping ground is being built here. The bio-soil has been kept here only to fill the low-lying area for the adjoining green park. The smell will go away in a few days.”
Creating another legacy waste, say locals
- MC has tasked SMS Ltd with biomining of legacy waste at Dadu Majra dumping ground
- Bio-soil is generated in the process and is now being transferred to 11 locations across Chandigarh
- MC has been asked to depute 9 tippers and a JCB for the job; residents near sites have opposed move owing to stench
11 sites earmarked
- Near Subhash Nagar, Mani Majra
- Near Nagla Basti, Mani Majra
- Green belt near Sector 47-A gurdwara
- Green belt near Dakshin Marg, Sector 31
- Near Ashadeep, Sector 31 C&D
- Near BSNL Society, Sec 50 C&D
- Green belt in Kajheri
- Near open theatre, Sector 48-C
- Park in Sector 42-C
- Green belt at Maloya village
- Land between Patiala ki Rao & outer Phirni Road
Most Read In 24 Hours
Don't MissView All
The nasal vaccine—BBV154 -- had received DCGI approval in No...
Egypt's President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi is the chief guest at...
Announcement was made by Adviser to the UT Administrator Dha...
Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann unfurls national flag in Bhatinda on Republic Day; slams Centre for excluding state’s tableau from Delhi parade
It reflects the ‘myopic’ mindset of those in power at the Ce...
In the last year, more than 70,000 people globally have been...