Chandigarh, August 6
A local court has issued a notice to Miss Universe Harnaaz Kaur Sandhu for filing a reply to a case filed by actor Upasana Singh, “Bua” of Kapil Sharma’s comedy show.
The court of Civil Judge Junior Division has directed Harnaaz to file the reply on September 7 this year.
Upasana filed a civil suit on August 4 through advocates Karan Sachdeva and Irvan Neet Kaur for claiming damages of Rs 1 crore from Harnaaz for allegedly breaching a contract and for non-performance of her obligations in terms of agreement between them.
Upasana Singh said she had signed Harnaaz as the lead artiste under her banner ‘Santosh Entertainment Studio LLP’ in 2020 to produce a Punjabi film “Bai Ji Kuttange”. In 2019, Harnaaz won the title of Femina Miss India Punjab.
Upasana claimed that in an agreement signed on December 13, 2020, it was agreed between the parties that the artiste would make herself available for promotional activities of the film, both by being present in person during the events as well as virtually.
Upasana alleged that soon after Harnaaz was crowned Miss Universe 2021 and gained recognition worldwide, her behaviour changed. She alleged that Harnaaz evaded her professional and contractual commitments by ignoring all communications made to her by the production house as well as other stakeholders concerned. She did not even reply to a single message or any of the emails sent to her.
Due to her behaviour, the film lost its distributors, its release date was compromised and ultimately, the release date was postponed from May 27 this year to August 19.
She claimed that they were incurring huge financial losses due to her behaviour.
Upasana said she had already paid the defendant the entire fee of Rs 1,00,000 as per the agreement.
Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium
Take your experience further with Premium access.
Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Already a Member? Sign In Now