Tribune News Service
Faridabad, June 11
Hundreds of residents of Khori Gaon Basti colony staged a march-cum-demonstration in Surajkund today morning in protest against the impending demolition of their houses following a Supreme Court order.
About 100 persons were booked for blocking the road, while eight persons were arrested, said a police spokesperson.
Colony residents, however, said 15 persons were detained last night and six of them had been sent to judicial custody.
The case has been registered under Sections 109, 114, 147, 149, 186, 188, 269, 283, 341 and 506 of the IPC, and Section 61 of the Disaster Management Act.
They assembled on the main road near the Faridabad-Delhi border around 6.30 am and squatted there, raising slogans against the state government and the MC authorities. They demanded release of the arrested persons and rehabilitation before the demolition drive.
The protest came to an end at 8.30 am after the police dispersed the demonstrators following a mild lathicharge.
The Supreme Court had, on Monday, ordered the eviction of encroachers from around 10,000 residential structures constructed illegally at Lakkarpur Khori village in Aravalli forest area of Faridabad district.
The protesters were asked to form a committee, which would put forward their grievances to the Deputy Commissioner.
Bandhua Mukti Morcha general secretary Nirmal Gorana said a transit camp should be constructed to shelter residents of the colony before starting the demolition drive. “The state government should intervene on humanitarian grounds. Residents are victims, not accused.”
A memorandum was mailed to the Chief Minister, Chief Secretary and DC, seeking their intervention.
Meanwhile, the protesters claimed the authorities had snapped the power and water supply to their houses. Mala and Sarina Sarkar, women residents, said there was no water and power supply since morning.
Water is mainly supplied through tankers, while electricity comes from Delhi.
Aam Aadmi Party MP Sushil Gupta, who visited the colony today, asked the state government to rehabilitate the affected persons before starting the demolition drive.
Garima Mittal, MC Commissioner, said: “A public announcement was made, asking residents to vacate the colony as houses will be demolished soon in compliance with the SC order.”
Though no date of demolition has been announced, it has been learnt that it would happen next week.
Points to WHO’s inability to find the origin of SARS CoV-2; ...
Air-launched UAV co-development should lead to high-end defe...
Sahota, a 1988-batch IPS officer, would also continue to hol...
At least 7 new faces have made it to the new cabinet; 5 form...
Legislature needs to revisit laws and reform them to suit th...