Paddy variety 1509 fetches better rate than previous year

Paddy variety 1509 fetches better rate than previous year

The early and short-duration paddy variety, PUSA 1509, which had disappointed the farming community last year with low price, has given a reason to smile to the farmers by fetching good price this year. File photo

Tribune News Service

Karnal, September 14

The early and short-duration paddy variety, PUSA 1509, which had disappointed the farming community last year with low price, has given a reason to smile to the farmers by fetching good price this year.

It is being procured between Rs 2,500 and 2,800 per quintal this year in comparison to Rs 1,900-2,000 per quintal last year.

“My produce of 1509 variety was procured at Rs 2,780 per quintal. Last year, it was procured at around Rs 2,000,” said Ravinder, a farmer of Kunjpura village.

Isham Singh, another farmer, said that he has received good price of 1509 variety this year. It was procured at Rs 2,660 per quintal in comparison to Rs 1,970 last year.

The low price during last season had forced farmers to reduce the area under this variety this season. As a result, it is in high demand among rice exporters who send this variety to different countries.

“Last year, I have cultivated this short-duration variety on 10 acres, but it failed to fetch good price. So I reduced the area to four acres. This year, it was procured at Rs 2,730 per quintal,” said Raj Kumar, another farmer.

Aditya Dabas, Deputy Director Agriculture (DDA), said that paddy is cultivated on 1.68 lakh hectares in the district. On 70 per cent, PR varieties are grown. On the remaining 30 per cent area, basmati varieties, almost equal share of 1121 and 1509, are cultivated. This season, 1509 was cultivated in 3-5 per cent less area in comparison to last year.

Tribune Shorts

Top Stories

Congress high command convenes Punjab CLP meeting on Saturday amid growing dissension in party

Congress high command convenes Punjab CLP meeting on Saturday amid growing dissension in party

The CLP will be held at Congress headquarters in Chandigarh ...

Time not right to bring petrol and diesel under GST: FM Sitharaman

Time not right to bring petrol and diesel under GST: FM Sitharaman

GST Council extends concessional tax rates on Covid drugs ti...

Afghanistan proof that radicalisation key challenge to peace: PM Modi at SCO meet

Afghanistan proof that radicalisation key challenge to peace: PM Modi at SCO meet

India disassociates from Bishkek Declaration’s mention of Ch...

SC Collegium recommends 8 names for appointment as High Court Chief Justices

SC Collegium recommends 8 names for appointment as High Court Chief Justices

Transfers five Chief Justices and 28 other High Court Judges

India administers over 2 crore Covid vaccines on PM's birthday

India administers over 2 crore Covid vaccines on PM's birthday

The current Indian record is of administering 1.33 crore dos...

Cities

View All