Himachal suffers losses worth Rs 2,623 crore in rain disaster, 310 dead and 38 missing: Dy CM
Himachal Pradesh has suffered losses of over Rs 2,623.36 crore in the current rain disaster, with significant damage to public infrastructure, such as roads and bridges, and private property across the state.
Making a statement in Vidhan Sabha today about the current situation due to incessant rains, Deputy Chief Minister Mukesh Agnihotri informed that so far 310 persons have died, while 38 are missing. He said the maximum damage had been caused to roads, bridges, water, and electricity supply, with districts like Mandi, Kullu, Chamba, and Lahaul-Spiti being the worst-hit.
He said that during the last three days, 3,269 pilgrims, including 1,730 men, 1,259 women, and 280 children on Manimahesh Yatra, had been evacuated to safe places. “NDRF and SDRF have been deployed all along the yatra route, and personnel from Mountaineering Institute at Manali have also joined rescue operations,” he said. The yatra has been suspended following heavy rains and damage in Chamba between August 24-26.
Agnihotri said mobile phone services and road connectivity had been restored up to the Chamba town. Power and telecommunication had been restored even in the Kullu district. “However, the Manali-Leh road is blocked at several locations, and efforts are underway to open it. The tourists stranded on the Udaipur-Pangi route have been moved to safe locations,” he said.
He added that 136 persons in 98 vehicles stranded at Stingri had also been moved to safe places, and people stranded at Sissu had been moved out via the Kaza-Kinnaur route.
Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium
Take your experience further with Premium access.
Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Already a Member? Sign In Now