DT
PT
Subscribe To Print Edition About The Tribune Code Of Ethics Download App Advertise with us Classifieds
search-icon-img
search-icon-img
Advertisement

Mandi landslide: Officials debunk rumours of casualties, damage

DC urges public to rely on verified updates
  • fb
  • twitter
  • whatsapp
  • whatsapp
featured-img featured-img
A landslide blocks Kiratpur-Manali highway at Banala in Mandi.
Advertisement

Following a tweet by Mandi MP Kangana Ranaut, Deputy Commissioner Apoorv Devgan on Thursday clarified that the reports circulating on social media about casualties in the Banala landslide near Panarsa on the Kiratpur-Manali four-lane are completely unfounded. He appealed to the public not to believe or spread unverified information. The clarification came after social media was flooded with claims of deaths and vehicles being buried under the debris.

Advertisement

Earlier in the day, Kangana had posted on her social media handles: “The tragic news of the severe accident near Mandi-Banala is deeply saddening. Due to the landslide, there is a fear that several people and vehicles are trapped under the debris. My thoughts are with the affected families and I am in constant touch with the administration. Relief and rescue operations are underway on a war footing. I pray to God for everyone’s safety and the speedy recovery of the injured.”

Addressing these concerns, the DC confirmed that a major landslide did occur around 8.30 pm on Wednesday, when a massive portion of debris slid down from a high mountain into the nearby river. However, he stressed that no evidence has emerged of people or vehicles being trapped under the debris. “Certain individuals are falsely claiming that the landslide has led to loss of life and vehicle damage, but no such proof has been found so far. No eyewitnesses have come forward either,” he said.

Advertisement

The DC said debris clearance began early Thursday morning and that Balichowki SDM Deviram and the local Tehsildar are continuously present at the site to oversee rescue and clearance operations. He assured that a large portion of the debris has already been cleared and the remaining work is expected to be completed within hours. “As of now, no trapped persons or damaged vehicles have been found under the debris,” he reiterated.

Appealing to citizens to remain calm, the DC urged the public not to spread rumours and to rely only on information released by official sources. He also advised travellers to avoid unnecessary nighttime travel and strictly follow administrative guidelines. Kangana was trolled by netizens for her tweet, with many urging her to comment responsibly and verify facts before posting.

Advertisement

The administration reiterated its commitment to transparency, safety and swift relief efforts, requesting cooperation and patience from the public until all operations are concluded.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tlbr_img1 Classifieds tlbr_img2 Videos tlbr_img3 Premium tlbr_img4 E-Paper tlbr_img5 Shorts