DT
PT
Subscribe To Print Edition About The Tribune Code Of Ethics Download App Advertise with us Classifieds
search-icon-img
search-icon-img
Advertisement

60 injured, curfew imposed in Haldwani after violence over demolition of ‘illegally built’ madrasa

  • fb
  • twitter
  • whatsapp
  • whatsapp
Advertisement

Haldwani, February 8

Advertisement

Curfew was imposed here on Thursday after locals set vehicles on fire and hurled stones, injuring at least 60 people, over the demolition of an “illegally built” madrasa.

Police said most of the around 60 people hospitalised after the violence in the city’s Banbhoolpura area were police personnel and municipal workers involved in the demolition of a local madrasa.

Advertisement

Senior Superintendent of Police Prahlad Mena said a notice was served earlier on the madrasa constructed illegally on government land.

A large number of locals gathered to resist the demolition team when it arrived, escorted by policemen.

Advertisement

As a bulldozer razed the madrasa, mobs pelted the policemen with stones and set fire to vehicles.

Additional force was summoned to the area, police said.

In state capital Dehradun, Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami summoned a meeting of senior officials. A curfew was announced in the entire Halwani city.

SSP Mena said the demolition was carried out in the presence of Municipal Commissioner Panda Upadhyay, City Magistrate Richa Singh and SDM Paritosh Verma.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tlbr_img1 Classifieds tlbr_img2 Videos tlbr_img3 Premium tlbr_img4 E-Paper tlbr_img5 Shorts