New Delhi, November 7
The first phase of the Assembly elections in Chhattisgarh and single-phase polling in Mizoram kicked off today, inaugurating a month-long electoral process in five states.
While the voting for 20 seats out of the 90-member Chhattisgarh assembly took place in the first phase, the 40-member Mizoram assembly underwent polling in a single phase.
While Chhattisgarh recorded a turnout of 71.11 per cent till 5 pm amid Maoist attacks, Mizoram saw 77.39 per cent polling. In Chhattisgarh’s Naxal-affected region, there were instances of occasional violence. In Mizoram, the voting process remained peaceful.
In Chhattisgarh, a CoBRA commando was injured in an IED blast by Naxals in Sukma district. In Kanker district, an AK-47 rifle was recovered after an encounter between Naxals and security personnel. Chhattisgarh is witnessing a direct showdown between the Congress and the BJP. — TNS
71% turnout in Chhattisgarh
- 71% turnout in Ph-1 of Chhattisgarh poll amid Naxal violence
- Polling held for 20 constituencies on Tuesday
- Of the 20 seats, 12 are reserved for Scheduled Tribes
- A total of 223 candidates, including 25 women, in the fray
- Violence reported from Sukma, Narayanpur, Bijapur & Kanker
- Four securitymen injured in encounter in Sukma district
77% voting in Mizoram
- The Mizoram Assembly election passed off peacefully on Tuesday
- 77% of 8.57 lakh electors exercised their franchise in the state
Most Read In 24 Hours
Don't MissView All
Flights were diverted to Jaipur, Amritsar, Lucknow, Ahmedaba...
Sarvjeet Sidhu, pleaded guilty to attempted murder, while Su...
Votes cast in the Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan an...
The temporary ceasefire, which was initially reached on Nove...
What is posthumous sperm retrieval? And how it offers solace to families whose men have died in Gaza war?
Posthumous sperm retrieval (PSR) is a procedure that involve...