US President Donald Trump “no longer has plans” to visit India for the Quad Summit, the New York Times claimed on Saturday. India is slated to host the annual Quad Summit later this year. India, the US, Australia and Japan are partners in the grouping.
In its report, 'The Nobel Prize and a Testy Phone Call: How the Trump-Modi Relationship Unravelled', the NYT, citing people familiar with Trump's schedule, said, “After telling PM Narendra Modi that he would travel to India later this year for the Quad Summit, Trump no longer has plans to visit.”
The NYT article gave an account of how relations between Trump and Modi “unravelled” after Trump's repeated claims of solving the four-day conflict in May between India and Pakistan, an assertion denied by Delhi.
“President Trump's repeated claims about having 'solved' the India-Pakistan war infuriated PM Modi. And that was only the beginning,” the NYT article said.
Trump and Modi had spoken for 35 minutes over the phone on June 17. The call came as Trump returned to Washington from the G7 Summit in Canada, which PM Modi also attended.
Modi and Trump were scheduled to meet on the sidelines of the G7 Summit, but Trump returned to Washington early. Before wrapping up his first visit to Canada in a decade, Modi had a phone conversation with Trump in Washington.
Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri had said in a video message that Modi clearly conveyed to Trump that at “no point” during the days following Operation Sindoor was there any discussion, at any level, on an India-US trade deal, or any proposal for a mediation by the US between India and Pakistan.
The NYT said during the phone call, Trump said again how proud he was of ending the military escalation and mentioned that Pakistan was going to nominate him for the Nobel Peace Prize.
“The not-so-subtle implication, according to people familiar with the call, was that Modi should do the same,” the newspaper said.
The NYT further said, “The Indian leader bristled. He told Trump that US involvement had nothing to do with the recent ceasefire. It had been settled directly between India and Pakistan.”
“Trump largely brushed off Modi's comments, but the disagreement — and Modi's refusal to engage on the Nobel — has played a big part in the souring relationship between the two leaders,” the NYT said.
The article further said Trump, “frustrated by the tariff negotiations”, reached out to Modi several times, but the Indian leader “did not respond to those requests”.
Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium
Take your experience further with Premium access.
Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Already a Member? Sign In Now