DT
PT
Subscribe To Print Edition About The Tribune Code Of Ethics Download App Advertise with us Classifieds
search-icon-img
search-icon-img
Advertisement

Search operation launched in J-K’s Kishtwar; 2 Hizbul terrorists believed to be trapped   

The first contact with the terrorists is established around 6.30 am at Bhagna forest in Dool area when terrorists open fire after noticing a search party of Rashtriya Rifles
  • fb
  • twitter
  • whatsapp
  • whatsapp
featured-img featured-img
Baramulla: Security personnel during an encounter with terrorists at Sagipora area of Sopore, in Baramulla district, J&K, Friday, Nov. 8, 2024. (PTI Photo)(PTI11_08_2024_000221A)
Advertisement

Intermittent exchange of firing rocked a forest area in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir throughout the day on Sunday after security forces launched a cordon-and-search operation following intelligence input about the presence of two most wanted Hizbul Mujahideen terrorists, officials said.

Advertisement

The first contact with the terrorists was established around 6.30 am at Bhagna forest in Dool area when terrorists opened fire after noticing a search party of Rashtriya Rifles, the officials said.

They said the security forces retaliated and the gunfight between the two sides continued for quite some time before the terrorists fled deep into the forest.

Advertisement

Reinforcements from the army, special operations group (SOG) of local police and CRPF rushed to the scene and the cordon around the suspected location of the terrorists was further strengthened to neutralise them, the officials said.

The exchange of firing between the two sides happened two more times during the day but there was no report of any casualty, they said.

Advertisement

The officials said security forces had launched the operation in the forest area after getting specific information about the presence of Riyaz Ahmad and Mudassar Hazari, two local terrorists who are active in the district for the past eight years.

The two terrorists had earlier escaped an encounter with security forces in Hadal Gal forest in Cherji on July 20.

Earlier in the day, Army's White Knight Corps in an X post said the alert troops, while carrying out an intelligence-based operation, have established contact with terrorists in the early hours of Sunday and exchanged gunfire.

The army said the operation is under progress.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tlbr_img1 Classifieds tlbr_img2 Videos tlbr_img3 Premium tlbr_img4 E-Paper tlbr_img5 Shorts