TrendingVideosIndia
Opinions | CommentEditorialsThe MiddleLetters to the EditorReflections
UPSC | Exam ScheduleExam Mentor
State | Himachal PradeshPunjabJammu & KashmirHaryanaChhattisgarhMadhya PradeshRajasthanUttarakhandUttar Pradesh
City | ChandigarhAmritsarJalandharLudhianaDelhiPatialaBathindaShaharnama
World | ChinaUnited StatesPakistan
Diaspora
Features | The Tribune ScienceTime CapsuleSpectrumIn-DepthTravelFood
Business | My MoneyAutoZone
News Columns | Straight DriveCanada CallingLondon LetterKashmir AngleJammu JournalInside the CapitalHimachal CallingHill View
Don't Miss
Advertisement

‘No lapses’: Vaishno Devi Board calls landslip tragedy unforeseeable

Security personnel at the landslide site en route to the shrine. PTI

Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium

Take your experience further with Premium access. Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Yearly Premium ₹999 ₹349/Year
Yearly Premium $49 $24.99/Year
Advertisement

Three days after a devastating landslide claimed at least 34 lives near the Vaishno Devi temple, the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMVDSB) has described the incident as a case of ‘force majeure’ and denied all allegations of negligence.

Advertisement

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Shrine Board clarified that the disaster site—near Inderprastha Bhojanalya on the old track—had always been considered one of the safest stretches on the pilgrimage route.

Advertisement

“However, nature’s fury struck in the form of a sudden and severe cloudburst in a stretch of just 50 meters, triggering a massive landslide at 2.40 pm. It was unpredictable and unforeseen by all accounts. No previous incident of a landslide has ever been recorded in this area. The event qualifies as force majeure,” the Board stated.

Refuting media reports alleging negligence, the Board said, “Certain media reports have circulated, suggesting that the yatra was allowed to proceed in complete disregard of weather advisories, compromising pilgrim safety. SMVDSB expresses deep sorrow over the tragic loss of lives on August 26 and wishes to set the record straight. The allegations are false and baseless.”

According to the Board, weather conditions on the morning of August 26 were clear and suitable for the yatra until about 10 am, with helicopter services operating without disruption. “In line with standard operating procedures, the Board had deployed enforcement staff and its Disaster Management Task Force along the entire track. Weather updates were being closely monitored, and as soon as a forecast of moderate rainfall was received, fresh registrations were immediately suspended. By that time, the majority of pilgrims were descending after completing darshan at the holy cave. Thousands had already returned safely to Katra,” the statement read.

Advertisement

The Board further clarified that some pilgrims had chosen to rest at designated shelter sheds along the old track—zones specifically chosen for their historical safety from landslides. “These stretches have never been considered vulnerable. The shelter sheds were built in the safest areas to ensure pilgrim safety,” it added.

Notably, the newer Tarakote route between Katra and Adhkuwari — considered more susceptible to landslides — had already been closed on August 24 as a precautionary measure. “The old track remained open with constant monitoring. Even this route was closed by 12 noon on August 26, immediately after a specific weather advisory was issued,” it emphasised.

The Shrine Board said its Disaster Management Task Force, stationed along the route, launched immediate rescue and evacuation efforts in coordination with administration and security forces.

Advertisement
Tags :
#CloudburstTragedy#ForceMajeure#KatraToVaishnoDevi#OldTrack#PilgrimSafety#SMVDSB#WeatherAdvisory#YatraSafetyDisasterManagementVaishnoDeviLandslide
Show comments
Advertisement