Tribune News Service
New Delhi, June 21
In a joint operation, security forces eliminated at least three Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) terrorists, including the terror outfit’s top commander, Mudasir Pandit, one of the most wanted militants, in Sopore area of Baramulla district late on Sunday night.
Senior officials in the security establishment, confirming about the encounter, said, the militants were killed in Gund Brath area of Sopore in the north Kashmir district.
The encounter had started late on Sunday night as the security forces launched a cordon-and-search operation in the area following information about the presence of at least three militants, including Pandit, they said.
Kashmir IGP Vijay Kumar tweeted, “Top LeT #terrorist Mudasir Pandit who was involved in #killing of 03 policemen, 02 councillors & 02 civilians recently and other several #terror crimes got killed in Sopore #encounter.”
The killing of Pandit, who was wanted by security forces in many cases, including the killing of two BJP councillors and a policeman on March 29 this year, was a major relief for the local population, said the Kashmir IGP.
Another terrorist has been identified as a Pakistan national. “Foreign #terrorist identified as Asrar @ Abdullah a resident of #Pakistan was active since 2018 in North Kashmir,” Kumar tweeted.
Killed BJP leaders
- Mudasir Pandit, Khursheed Mir and Pakistan national Abdullah killed two BJP councillors, a cop on March 29.
- On June 12, they killed two policemen and two civilians.
- Mudasir faced 18 FIRs for killing 9 security men, 2 ex-terrorists, 3 sarpanches, 2 separatists, 4 civilians. PTI
Foreigners in valley
- DGP Dilbag Singh says several foreign terrorists are present in the Valley, but they are lying low.
- Only two foreign militants have been killed in Kashmir this year in two encounters.
- Both from LeT were killed in Sopore, Baramulla, including one on Monday. PTI
Search ops enter 14th day, nine Army personnel have lost the...
There is no provision for relief or exemption under NDPS Act...
Kohli not dwelling on all-win record against rivals
The choice is clear between irreparable damage and the last ...
Eight people, including four farmers, were killed in Uttar P...