Aparna Banerji
Jalandhar, July 27
A two-year-old boy lost his life due to diarrhoea outbreak in Sunder Nagar of Kapurthala this morning. As a result, the number of deaths has reached three.
Around 100 persons from Sunder Nagar, Bakar Khana and Kaidupur have been reported ill and 40 patients have been admitted to the Kapurthala Civil Hospital due to the supply of contaminated water.
The child has been identified as Kuka. Earlier, Roop Kaur, 60, and Ram Lubhaya, 65, died after drinking contaminated water. Even Roop’s daughter is critical and has been admitted to a private hospital in Jalandhar.
We’re On the job
The supply has been stopped to check consumption of contaminated water. Arrangements have been made to supply chlorinated water. Moreover, the supply will also be increased. Garbage lifting and fogging is on. We are on the job. —Amit Panchal, Kapurthala DC
Negligence of civic body
We have been getting dirty water for the past three days. Many people have fallen sick. After the Health Dept took samples, the water supply was stopped. Things turned bad due to negligence by the civic body. Supply of potable water should be restored. —Nirvail Singh, Resident of Sunder Nagar
Kuka’s uncle said, “Our child was perfectly fit. He got sick after drinking contaminated water.”
Nirvail Singh, a resident of Sunder Nagar said, “We have been getting dirty water for the past three days. Many people have fallen sick. After the Health Dept took samples, water supply was stopped. Things turned bad due to negligence by the civic body. Supply of potable water should be restored.”
Shinda, another resident, said, “The quality of water has deteriorated in the past two-three days. Three persons have died so far. We work as labourers and can’t afford treatment at private hospitals. No health official or leader has come to meet us.”
SMO Dr Sandeep Dhawan said, “In the past three days, we admitted 35 patients. One death took place today and another on July 23. The third patient had a history of kidney ailment. Many people are falling into the trap of quacks.”
Kapurthala MLA Rana Gurjit Singh said, “The Kapurthala MC Commissioner is irresponsible and doesn’t listen. I had asked her to ensure cleaning of drains before the Lok Sabha poll. Even Rs 45 lakh had been approved by the MC to clean sewers through super sucker machines. Tenders were floated and opened but she didn’t issue work orders. I also took up the matter with Local Bodies Minister Balkar Singh but nothing happened.”
Kapurthala Deputy Commissioner Amit Panchal said, “The supply has been stopped to check consumption of contaminated water. Arrangements have been made to supply chlorinated water. Water supply will also be increased. Garbage lifting and fogging is underway. The SDM, DSP, MC Commissioner, SE, SMO and medical teams have visited the area. We are on the job.”
Further, a strike by safai sewaks from July 15 to July 22 has added to the woes of the residents.
Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium
Take your experience further with Premium access.
Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Already a Member? Sign In Now