Blame game on, toll mounts to 38

AAP councillor booked for murder | Cong petitions Prez | Probe with Crime Branch

Blame game on, toll mounts to 38

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, February 27

As the death toll in one of the worst riots in the Capital in more than three decades mounted to 38, the Delhi Police on Thursday transferred the probe to the Crime Branch and formed two special investigation teams (SITs) even as Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) councillor Tahir Hussain was booked for the murder of Intelligence Bureau staffer Ankit Sharma. 

AAP’s Hussain booked

  • An FIR under Sections 365 and 302 of the IPC has been filed against AAP leader Tahir Hussain on the complaint of slain IB staffer Ankit Sharma's father. Hussain has been suspended by AAP.

Police sources said all FIRs had been transferred to the two probe teams, one headed by DCP Joy Tirkey and the other by DCP Rajesh Deo. Additional CP (Crime) BK Singh will supervise both SITs.

On the fourth day of the communal clashes, which began in northeast Delhi on Monday over the contentious Citizenship (Amendment) Act, the body of a man was found in a drain in Johri Enclave while there were scattered incidents of vehicles and shops being set afire in Maujpur, Bhajanpura and other areas. The police have registered 18 FIRs and arrested 106 persons. At least 200 persons have sustained serious injuries. Properties worth crores have been damaged.

GTB Hospital in Dilshad Garden, where many of the 200 injured in the riots that broke out on Monday are being treated and where scores of people lined up outside the mortuary to claim the bodies of their loved ones, recorded five more deaths. Newly appointed Special Commissioner (Law & Order) SN Shrivastava visited the affected areas. He told the media, “The situation is returning to norm.”

In Yamuna Vihar, rioters struck at 4 am on Thursday to burn vehicles.

Among those dead was 22-year-old Ashfaq Hussain, an electrician who got married only 10 days ago. Relatives of 35-year-old Mudassir Khan from Kardampuri have been coming to the mortuary for two days to claim his body.

“We have seen comments made by USCIRF, sections of the media and a few individuals regarding the Delhi violence. These are factually inaccurate and misleading and appear to be aimed at politicising the issue,” MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said. “The statements which have come out of OIC are factually inaccurate, they are selective. There is an effort on the ground to restore normalcy,” he added.

Top Stories

Punjab government to extend curfew in state till May 1

Punjab government to extend curfew in state till May 1

Schools to promote students of Classes 5 and 8 to the next c...

Coronavirus: Sangrur patient was on pilgrimage; visited multiple mosques, villages

Coronavirus: Sangrur patient was on pilgrimage; visited multiple mosques, villages

Health dept launches massive contact tracing campaign

Chandigarh reports another coronavirus case, total stands at 19

Chandigarh reports another coronavirus case, total stands at 19

The city reported its first case on March 18

Cities

View All

Chandigarh reports another coronavirus case, total stands at 19

The city reported its first case on March 18

Two more found infected in Panchkula, district tally four

18-yr-old boy, 80-yr-old man attended religious meet in Raja...

Chandigarh Admn to screen entire population for Covid signs

Administrator also orders strict screening at border points.

35 residents put under home quarantine in Chandigarh

Are contacts of a Dera Bassi patient, who is a PGI tubewell ...

Harnamdass Pura residents protest cremation of patient

Fearing Covid, they were opposing his last rites near their ...

Community spread scare in Jalandhar

Infection source of four patients remains untraced | State c...