Mumbai, June 8
The Bombay High Court on Thursday extended till June 23 the interim protection from arrest granted to NCB's former Mumbai zonal director Sameer Wankhede in the CBI's case of extortion and bribery against him.
The CBI's case is that Wankhede and four other accused had demanded Rs 25 crore bribe from actor Shah Rukh Khan for not framing his son Aryan Khan following alleged seizure of drugs from a cruise ship in October 2021.
A division bench of Justices A Gadkari and SG Dige said it would hear Wankhede's plea seeking to quash the CBI FIR in the case on June 23.
Wankhede's counsel Aabad Ponda told the high court that as per the court's earlier direction, the Indian Revenue Service officer appeared before the CBI for interrogation seven times and has been cooperating.
CBI's advocate Kuldeep Patil told the court that the investigation in the case was at a crucial stage.
The bench said it would hear Wankhede's plea on June 23.
"Interim relief granted stands extended till the next date," the court said.
Wankhede moved the high court last month seeking quashing of the case and also sought interim protection from any coercive action.
Most Read In 24 Hours
Don't MissView All
19 police stations in Imphal valley kept out of purview
The minister's comments come against the backdrop of the US ...
Credible evidence of India's involvement in killing of Sikh separatist, says Canadian MP Jagmeet Singh
Describing the allegations levelled by Justin Trudeau agains...
Terrorist-gangster nexus: NIA raids 53 locations across 6 states, including Punjab and Haryana; detain several suspects
Pistols, ammunition, digital devices and incriminating mater...
7 fire tenders from nearby areas rushed to the spot