Delhi riots toll climb to 38 as violence ebbs, but doesn’t subside

Delhi riots toll climb to 38 as violence ebbs, but doesn’t subside

Kin of Mohsin Ali, who died in communal violence over the new citizenship law in northeast Delhi, cry after receiving his body outside the mortuary of GTB Hospital, in New Delhi on Thursday, February 27, 2020. PTI

New Delhi, February 27

The death toll in Delhi's worst riots in more than three decades climbed to 38 on Thursday as the violence ebbed but did not subside completely and thousands of people began picking up the pieces of their shattered lives and livelihoods.

Four days after communal clashes that began in northeast Delhi over the amended citizenship law and spiralled into bloodshed, arson and looting, the body of a man was found in a drain in Johri Enclave and there were scattered incidents of vehicles and shops being set on fire in Maujpur, Bhajanpura and other areas.

While there was no precise figure for the number of arrests, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the Delhi High Court that 48 FIRs were lodged in relation to the violence.

Delhi Police transferred the riots probe to the Crime Branch and formed two Special Investigation Teams.

The GTB Hospital in Dilshad Garden, where many of the 200 injured in the riots that broke out on Monday are being treated and where scores of people lined up outside the mortuary to claim the bodies of their loved ones, recorded five more deaths.

Eleven more deaths were reported on Thursday, taking the total death toll to 38, a senior Delhi Health Department official told PTI.

The opposition Congress took the issue to the Rashtrapati Bhavan. Accusing  Home Minister Amit Shah of "abdication of duty", a Congress delegation led by party chief Sonia Gandhi urged President Ram Nath Kovind to call for his resignation and remind the Centre of its "raj dharma".

"The situation is returning to normal. We are here to reassure people that we are with them," newly appointed Special Commissioner S N Shrivastava, who visited the affected areas, told reporters.

Battle scarred and desolate with scorched, blackened walls, the ashen remains of vehicles, glass shards and bricks, several fires still burnt in the mostly mixed neighbourhoods of the national capital's northeastern edge.

Shops, pharmacies and other establishments were closed and people stayed indoors unless it was imperative to step out. Several families were seen leaving with whatever they could salvage from their vandalised homes.

As they tried to come to terms with the losses to their shops, workshops and in some cases fruit and vegetable carts, residents recounted the violence of the night before.

In Yamuna Vihar, three to four rioters came around 4 am on Thursday to burn vehicles.

"One of them was holding a bucket in his hand. He started pouring some liquid on three vehicles. One of the cars caught fire. We raised an alarm after which they fled," a local told PTI, saying groups of people in the neighbourhood stay up all night to keep watch.

A few kilometres away, a charred board at a private school in Brijpuri read, "Welcome to a very happy school".

The 52-year-old Arun Modern Senior Secondary School looks no less than a cemetery, said an official, looking around at the damage which he estimated to be over Rs 70 lakh.

The GTB Hospital also presented a picture of despair with some sobbing uncontrollably and others maintaining a stoic silence with barely held back tears as they waited at the hospital to receive the bodies of those killed in the communal mayhem.

Among those who lost their lives was 22-year-old Ashfaq Hussain, an electrician who got married only 10 days ago and was shot while he was returning home in Gokalpuri after attending to a complaint.

Still trying to wrap his head around what had happened, his relative held up a smiling photograph of his bride Tasneem Fatima.

Relatives of 35-year-old Mudassir Khan from Kardampuri said they have been coming to the mortuary for two days to claim his body.

"Today, we have been waiting here since 8 am and the post-mortem is finally underway," said Arbaaz Khan.

Mudassir, who worked in scrap manufacturing unit, was outside his house on Monday when he was attacked by a mob, his family said. He sustained a bullet injury on his head and was declared brought dead by doctors at GTB hospital.

No major incident in northeast Delhi in last 36 hours: MHA   

No major incident was reported from the northeast district of Delhi in the last 36 hours, the Home Ministry said Thursday night.

The ministry issued a statement around 10 pm after Home Minister Amit Shah reviewed the situation in the violence-hit parts of the city in a meeting with senior officials and the top police brass.

The ministry said there was no major incident in last 36 hours in any affected police station of Delhi's northeast district, while 514 suspects were either arrested or detained for questioning.

Further arrests would be made in the course of investigation, the MHA said.

Prohibitory orders imposed under section 144 of the CrPC  will be relaxed for a total of 10 hours Friday in view of improvement in the situation, it said. — PTI

Top Stories

Mumbai on edge as cyclone Nisarga nears; trains rescheduled

Mumbai on edge as cyclone Nisarga nears; trains rescheduled

It is set to make a landfall at Alibaug in Raigad district i...

Two cyclones in fortnight point towards increase in pre-monsoon cyclonic activity

Two cyclones in fortnight point towards increase in pre-monsoon cyclonic activity

Indicative of 'above normal' Sea Surface Temperatures in Ind...

Pregnant wild elephant in Kerala dies after cracker-filled pineapple explodes in her mouth

Pregnant wild elephant in Kerala dies after cracker-filled pineapple explodes in her mouth

The incident was reported from the fringe areas of the Silen...

India, China commanders meet

India, China commanders meet

Lay groundwork for another military-level interaction on Jun...


View All