No death due to oxygen shortage in Maharashtra: Health minister Tope

No death due to oxygen shortage in Maharashtra: Health minister Tope

PTI file photo

Mumbai, July 21

Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope on Wednesday said the state government never reported any death due to shortage of oxygen during the second wave of Covid-19.

Notably, in April this year, 22 patients died after the oxygen supply was disrupted at a Nashik hospital due to leakage in an oxygen storage plant, local officials had said.

Tope had then said a thorough probe will be conducted to find out if negligence led to the leakage of oxygen at the hospital.

On Tuesday, the Union government had told the Rajya Sabha that no deaths due to lack of oxygen were specifically reported by states and UTs during the second Covid-19 wave, drawing sharp criticism from opposition leaders.

When asked by a TV channel about the Centre’s statement, Tope said, “We never said people died due to oxygen shortage in the state. Many of them had issues like co-morbidities and other illnesses. No death has taken place due to the shortage of oxygen”. 

Earlier in the day, Shiv Sena MP Sanjay Raut, whose party shares power with the NCP and Congress in Maharashtra, said people whose relatives died due to oxygen shortage should “take the Union government to court”.

Noting that opposition-ruled states claimed in courts that there was no death due to shortage of oxygen during the second Covid-19 wave and made similar assertions in their response to the Centre, the BJP on Wednesday hit back at its rivals amid a row over the Modi government’s reply in Parliament on the matter.

BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra noted that the central government’s reply was based on the figures provided by states and UTs as health is a state subject.

No state sent any data about patients dying due to oxygen shortage, he asserted.

He said the Maharashtra government also told the Bombay High Court that no one died due to the oxygen shortage and Chhattisgarh Health Minister T S Singh Deo has also made similar claims.

Shortly after the statement in the Rajya Sabha was made over the issue in a written reply by Minister of State for Health Bharati Pravin Pawar on Tuesday, AICC general secretary KC Venugopal accused the minister of having “misled” the House.

Describing the statement as “condemnable”, Venugopal, a Rajya Sabha MP to whose question the reply was given, had said he will move a privilege motion against the minister. — PTI

Tribune Shorts

Top Stories

Bharat Bandh: Farmers block highways, squat on railway tracks in Punjab, Haryana during 10-hour shutdown

Bharat Bandh: Farmers block highways, squat on railway tracks in Punjab, Haryana during 10-hour shutdown

A complete shutdown is observed in Punjab, with transport se...

Bharat Bandh: Received unprecedented response, says Samyukta Kisan Morcha

Bharat Bandh: Received unprecedented response, says Samyukta Kisan Morcha

Bandh was observed peacefully in ‘more than 23 states’ and n...

‘Don’t treat young doctors as football’, says SC on last-minute changes in NEET syllabus

‘Don’t treat young doctors as football’, says SC on last-minute changes in NEET syllabus

Top court was hearing a plea of 41 Post Graduate doctors who...

Making sincere efforts to remove road blockades by farmers, Haryana tells SC

Making sincere efforts to remove road blockades by farmers, Haryana tells SC

A state-level committee headed by Additional Chief Secretary...

Bharat Bandh: Traffic congestion at Delhi-Gurugram border

Bharat Bandh: Traffic congestion at Delhi-Gurugram border

A heavy presence of security personnel is seen at the Delhi-...

Cities

View All