No territory conceded under disengagement pact with China: MEA

Last week, armies of India and China, which have been locked in a stand-off in eastern Ladakh, concluded withdrawal of troops and weapons from north and south banks of Pangong Tso

No territory conceded under disengagement pact with China: MEA

A handout photo released by Indian Army shows the disengagement process between the Indian Army and China’s Peoples Liberation Army from the banks of Pangong lake area in Ladakh region. Indian Army/Handout via REUTERS

New Delhi, February 25

India on Thursday said it has not conceded any territory as part of the disengagement agreement with China, and asserted that it has rather enforced observance of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) to prevent any unilateral change in the status quo.

At an online media briefing here, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said there had not been any change in India’s position on the LAC and the mutual redeployment as a result of the disengagement process should not be misrepresented.

Asked about the recent agreement on the de-escalation process in Ladakh’s Pangong Lake area, he said the factual position had been very well conveyed by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and in a Defence Ministry statement, which he said was aimed at setting the record straight in view of certain misleading and misinformed comments that appeared in the media.

“... India has not conceded any territory as a result of this agreement. On the contrary, it has enforced observance and respect for LAC and it has prevented any unilateral change in the status quo,” Srivastava said.

Last week, armies of the two countries, which have been locked in a standoff in eastern Ladakh, concluded withdrawal of troops and weapons from north and south banks of Pangong Tso in the high-altitude region.

However, issues still remain. During the talks, India is learnt to have insisted on a faster disengagement process in areas like Hot Springs, Gogra and Depsang to bring down tension in the region.

To a question on a court ruling in the UK on fugitive businessman Nirav Modi’s extradition, Srivastava said the government would liaise with the British authorities for his early extradition. PTI

Top Stories

Third wave of coronavirus may not happen if strong measures are taken: PSA

Third wave of coronavirus may not happen if strong measures are taken: PSA

On May 5, VijayRaghavan said as the virus mutates further, a...

Supply 700 MT oxygen daily to Delhi till further orders: SC tells Centre

Supply 700 MT oxygen daily to Delhi till further orders: SC tells Centre

‘We will not leave people of Karnataka in lurch,’ says a Ben...

Punjab has no doses to vaccinate 18-45 age group: AG to HC

Punjab has no doses to vaccinate 18-45 age group: AG to HC

‘Punjab requires 2.64 crore doses of the COVID-19 vaccine’

Vaccination only way forward as COVID infections surge in rural areas: Report

Vaccination only way forward as COVID infections surge in rural areas: Report

The second wave of the pandemic has led the country begging ...

50 lakh Covishield doses meant for export to UK to be used in India for vaccinating 18-plus

50 lakh Covishield doses meant for export to UK to be used in India for vaccinating 18-plus

The ministry has asked the states to contact the company and...

Cities

View All