600 private buses set to lose ‘illegal’ permits in Punjab

Govt initiates cancellation process on ‘monopoly’ routes | 340 transport companies to be hit

600 private buses set to lose ‘illegal’ permits in Punjab

The Punjab Government has initiated the process to cancel at least 600 illegally extended bus permits, affecting nearly 340 privately-owned transport companies on monopoly routes, including those owned by the Badal family.

Rajmeet Singh

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, October 20

The Punjab Government has initiated the process to cancel at least 600 illegally extended bus permits, affecting nearly 340 privately-owned transport companies on monopoly routes, including those owned by the Badal family. The action is being taken against the illegal extension to transport permits for over 10 to 15 years.

Also read: Daily revenue of Punjab govt buses up Rs 45 lakh in 3 weeks


Amrinder Singh Raja Warring, transport minister

Following court orders

The Transport Department is following the court orders on illegally extended bus permits. The necessary action is being initiated.

With effectively two months left before the model code comes into effect, the Charanjit Singh Channi government wants to show its “intent” to end the transport mafia — one of the key issues in the 13-point agenda flagged by PCC president Navjot Singh Sidhu. After issuing the speaking orders, a stipulated time period has to be given to the affected transporter to file an appeal.

Sources in the government said the orders against the illegally extended bus permits were in the process of being issued. Under scanner are near 1 lakh kilometres of route extensions, including 30,000 kilometres being covered by buses run by politically influential families.

Transport Minister Amrinder Singh Raja Warring said in the case of illegally extended bus permits, the department was following the court orders. He refused to divulge further details. In the past few days, the Transport Minister has been earning praise from different quarters for the clampdown on private transporters to the advantage of the Punjab Roadways buses.

With private bus operators withdrawing 38 petitions in the Punjab and Haryana High Court against Punjab’s permit cancellation notices, the Punjab Transport Department has initiated the process. The cancellation of illegal permits, which had been caught in legal wrangling for over three years since the first set of notices issued in February 2018 was struck down by the HC in May 2018, are expected to be issued by the STC in the next couple of days. 

Extension on 1L KM route under lens

Under scanner are extensions given on 1 lakh km of routes, including 30,000 km being covered by buses run by politically influential families

Tribune Shorts


Top Stories

Opposition leaders meet Naidu, seek suspension of 12 Rajya Sabha members be revoked

Congress-led Opposition to boycott Rajya Sabha over suspension of 12 MPs; govt defends suspensions

The decision to boycott was taken at a morning meeting of op...

Govt says ready to review suspensions if MPs apologise; Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day

Govt says ready to review suspensions if MPs apologise; Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day

Leader of Rajya Sabha Piyush Goyal defends the House motion ...

Centre advises states to ramp up testing for early detection of cases in view of Omicron scare

Centre advises states to ramp up testing for early detection of cases in view of Omicron scare

While underlining that the new variant doesn't escape RT-PCR...

Centre extends containment measures till December 31 amid global concerns about omicron

Centre extends containment measures till December 31 amid global concerns about omicron

Union Home Secretary Ajay Bhalla asks states and UTs to stri...

Cities

View All