DT
PT
Subscribe To Print Edition About The Tribune Code Of Ethics Download App Advertise with us Classifieds
search-icon-img
search-icon-img
Advertisement

Beas breaches another ‘bundh’ in Doaba; 35,480 acres submerged

  • fb
  • twitter
  • whatsapp
  • whatsapp
featured-img featured-img
Army personnel with a rescued man in Sultanpur Lodhi. Malkiat Singh
Advertisement

Panic-stricken villagers and government officials have stepped up the monitoring of earthen embankments in Kapurthala’s Sultanpur Lodhi after the Beas water entered another village last night.

Advertisement

So far, over 100 villages have been affected by flooding in the Doaba district, damaging crops on 35,480 acres, according to officials.

The fresh breach was reported at Chak Patti Balu Bahadar village. Meanwhile, the water flow in the river rose to 2.40 lakh cusecs amid the warning of heavy rainfall for Sunday. Currently, villagers and local Drainage Department officials are keeping a watch on dhussi bundhs (earthen embankments) at several locations.

Advertisement

Farmers said the Baja-Khijrapur and Sherpur Dogra advance bundhs were the only two remaining temporary embankments still intact in Kapurthala, while most others have been breached or weakened by rising floodwaters.

At least 10 to 12 tractors remain stationed every night on the Khijarpur-Baja stretch to protect the embankment from damage farmers have started “theekri pehras” (night vigil).

Advertisement

The police have also been carrying out day patrolling.

“Our teams are carrying out patrolling at bundhs and near flood-affected areas. The bundhs are under round-the-clock watch,” said SSP Gaurav Toora.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tlbr_img1 Classifieds tlbr_img2 Videos tlbr_img3 Premium tlbr_img4 E-Paper tlbr_img5 Shorts