Karam Prakash
Tribune News Service
Patiala, November 9
Two minor girls of Dheha Basti in Rajpura town of the district — the epicentre of the diarrhoea outbreak — have reportedly died of diarrhoea.
Strategy in works
A plan is being drawn to avoid such outbreaks in future. A proper drainage system and water supply pipes will be provided for safe drinking water in the area.— Sandeep Hans, Patiala DC
While one died at Government Rajindra Hospital during treatment, the other one died while being shifted from Rajpura Civil hospital to Rajindra Hospital, Patiala.
With this, a total of six children, including five girls, have already died of diarrhoea so far. Meanwhile, two fresh cases of diarrhoea were reported from the adjoining areas of the Dheha Basti today. Health officials informed that both patients were admitted to the hospital. The number of diarrhoea patients, with these two, has reached 43 at Dheha Basti.
Patiala Civil Surgeon Dr Prince Sodhi said the situation was under control and only seven patients were undergoing treatment.
Patiala DC Sandeep Hans asked the Water Supply & Sewerage Board officials to immediately install public taps and mobile toilets at the outbreak site. Rajpura MLA Hardial Singh Kamboj was also present at the meeting.
The DC said they had sent a request to the government for financial assistance to the families of the deceased.
Karandeep Singh, Sub-Divisional Officer, Department of Water Supply, said, “We have already installed public taps from our main water supply line. Meanwhile, we are chalking out a plan for the new pipeline and sewerage for the area.”
Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium
Take your experience further with Premium access.
Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Already a Member? Sign In Now