TrendingVideosIndia
Opinions | CommentEditorialsThe MiddleLetters to the EditorReflections
UPSC | Exam ScheduleExam Mentor
State | Himachal PradeshPunjabJammu & KashmirHaryanaChhattisgarhMadhya PradeshRajasthanUttarakhandUttar Pradesh
City | ChandigarhAmritsarJalandharLudhianaDelhiPatialaBathindaShaharnama
World | ChinaUnited StatesPakistan
Diaspora
Features | The Tribune ScienceTime CapsuleSpectrumIn-DepthTravelFood
Business | My MoneyAutoZone
News Columns | Straight DriveCanada CallingLondon LetterKashmir AngleJammu JournalInside the CapitalHimachal CallingHill View
Don't Miss
Advertisement

Bopanna-Shapovalov make early exit from Western & Southern Open

Go down 4-6 6-7(1) to Marcel Granollers and Horacio Zeballos in the opening round

Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium

Take your experience further with Premium access. Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Yearly Premium ₹999 ₹349/Year
Yearly Premium $49 $24.99/Year
Advertisement

New York, August 24

Advertisement

Back in action after five months, Rohan Bopanna and his Canadian partner Denis Shapovalov succumbed to Marcel Granollers and Horacio Zeballos in the opening round of the Western and Southern Open men’s doubles event here.

Advertisement

Bopanna and Shapovalov lost 4-6 6-7(1) to the 2019 US Open runners-up pair in the first round match of the USD 42,22,190 hard court tournament, which is a build-up to the US Open.

It was the first competitive match for Bopanna since the Davis Cup tie against Croatia in March, alongside veteran Leander Paes.

Bopanna has been pairing with Shapovalov consistently since the Indian Wells Masters last year.

Advertisement

Also read: After COVID, Dimitrov wins in New York

“It was indeed a very close match. I am very satisfied, to be honest, with the way we played, especially after five months, coming straight into a tournament. (We were) playing against a very good team out there,” said Bopanna.

“I thought I would be little rusty but played pretty well, we had some chances. We lost three deuce points in a row when they served at 2-3 and then on my serve at 3-3, and when they served at 4-3, so those three games we had deuce points but they did not go our way,” he said.

“The second set was again close, we hung in there but in tie-break they were the better team. Overall, satisfied with the start nevertheless. We will be practising for the next few days for the US Open,” he said.

The US Open starts August 31 in New York. PTI

Advertisement
Show comments
Advertisement