10 indicted for Ukraine plane shootdown

10 indicted for Ukraine plane shootdown

File photo

Dubai, April 6

Ten officials have been indicted in Iran over the 2020 military shootdown of a Ukrainian passenger plane that killed 176 persons, a prosecutor said Tuesday, an announcement coming just as Tehran begins indirect negotiations with the West over its collapsed nuclear deal with world powers.

The timing of the announcement comes after Iran faced withering international criticism last month for releasing a final report into the shootdown of Ukraine International Airlines flight No. PS752 that blamed human error but named no one responsible for the incident.

Tehran military prosecutor Gholamabbas Torki similarly avoided naming those responsible when he announced the indictments Tuesday while handing over his office to Nasser Seraj. The semiofficial ISNA news agency and the Iranian judiciary's Mizan news agency both reported his remarks.

“The indictment of the case of the Ukrainian plane was also issued and a serious and accurate investigation was carried out and indictments were issued for 10 people who were at fault,” Mizan quoted Torki as saying, without elaborating.

Following three days of denial in January 2020 in the face of mounting evidence, Iran finally acknowledged that its paramilitary Revolutionary Guard mistakenly downed the Ukrainian jetliner with two surface-to-air missiles. In preliminary reports on the disaster last year, Iranian authorities blamed an air defense operator who they said mistook the Boeing 737-800 for an American cruise missile.

The shootdown happened the same day Iran launched a ballistic missile attack on US troops in Iraq in retaliation for an American drone strike that killed a top Iranian general. While Guard officials publicly apologized for the incident, the hesitancy of Iran to elaborate on what happened in the incident shows the power the force wields. AP

Top Stories

India to open up COVID vaccination for all adults over 18 from May 1

India to open up COVID vaccination for all adults over 18 from May 1

Vaccine makers will need to reserve 50% doses for Centre and...

No evidence of the young being at greater risk in ongoing COVID wave: ICMR

No evidence of the young being at greater risk in ongoing COVID wave: ICMR

Over 70 per cent of patients above 40 years in both waves; n...

Punjab imposes stricter curbs as COVID-19 cases rise; bars, cinema halls, gyms, spas to be closed

Punjab imposes stricter curbs as COVID-19 cases rise; bars, cinema halls, gyms, spas to be closed

Ban on gatherings of over 20, including at weddings and fune...

Former PM Manmohan Singh tests positive for COVID-19; admitted to AIIMS

Former PM Manmohan Singh tests positive for COVID-19; admitted to AIIMS

88-year-old Singh and his wife had taken their second shots ...

Delhi announces 6-day lockdown starting  Monday night

Delhi announces 6-day lockdown starting Monday night

We cannot have people dying on the roads: Chief Minister Kej...

Cities

View All