DT
PT
Subscribe To Print Edition About The Tribune Code Of Ethics Download App Advertise with us Classifieds
search-icon-img
search-icon-img
Advertisement

290 million kids out of school as global Covid battle intensifies

Epidemic claims 3,200 lives
  • fb
  • twitter
  • whatsapp
  • whatsapp
Advertisement

Rome, March 5

Advertisement

Almost 300 million students worldwide faced weeks at home on Thursday with Italy the latest country to shut schools over the deadly new coronavirus, as the IMF urged an all-out, global offensive against the epidemic.

More than 95,000 people have been infected and over 3,200 have died worldwide from the virus, which has now reached some 80 countries and territories. The vast majority of global deaths and infections are in China, where the virus first emerged late last year, prompting the country to quarantine entire cities, temporarily shut factories and close schools indefinitely.

Advertisement

As the virus spread, other countries have also implemented extraordinary measures, with UNESCO saying Wednesday that 13 countries have closed schools, affecting 290.5 million children, while nine others have implemented localised closures.

While temporary school closures during crises are not new, UNESCO chief Audrey Azoulay said, “the global scale and speed of the current educational disruption is unparalleled and, if prolonged, could threaten the right to education.” — AFP

Advertisement

Bethlehem’s Nativity Church closes

Bethlehem: Palestinian officials announced Thursday the storied Church of the Nativity in the biblical city of Bethlehem was closing indefinitely over fears of the new coronavirus, weeks ahead of the Easter holiday that draws tens of thousands of visitors. AP

In letter, Kim offers S Koreans ‘comfort’

Seoul: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un sent a personal letter to “comfort” South Koreans fighting the epidemic just a day after his sister condemned Seoul as a “frightened dog barking”, the South’s presidential office said Thursday. AFP

China Prez’s Japan visit postponed

Tokyo: A state visit by Chinese President Xi Jinping this spring has been postponed as preventing the outbreak of the new coronavirus is “the biggest challenge” for the two countries, Japan’s top government spokesman said Thursday. AFP

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tlbr_img1 Classifieds tlbr_img2 Videos tlbr_img3 Premium tlbr_img4 E-Paper tlbr_img5 Shorts