Britain’s Royal Family issues rare rebuke to BBC over documentary on Prince William and Harry

The show, presented by Indian-origin BBC journalist Amol Rajan, alluded to royal sources speaking to journalists behind the scenes

Britain’s Royal Family issues rare rebuke to BBC over documentary on Prince William and Harry

Prince William and Prince Harry. Reuters file photo

London, November 23

Britain’s Royal Family on Tuesday issued a rare joint statement against the use of unnamed sources in response to a new BBC documentary on Prince William and Harry’s relationship with the media.

Queen Elizabeth II’s Buckingham Palace, her son and heir Prince Charles’ Clarence House and Prince William’s Kensington Palace offices sent the statement for inclusion in the first of a two-part documentary entitled ‘The Princes and the Press’, aired on Monday.

The show, presented by Indian-origin BBC journalist Amol Rajan, alluded to royal sources speaking to journalists behind the scenes.

“A free, responsible and open press is of vital importance to a healthy democracy,” the joint statement by the royals reads.

“However, too often it is overblown and unfounded claims from unnamed sources that are presented as facts and it is disappointing when anyone, including the BBC, gives them credibility,” it notes.

The documentary is described as telling the story “of one of the most dramatic periods in modern royal history” and traces how brothers William – the Duke of Cambridge – and Harry – the Duke of Sussex – dealt with the media in recent years.

A private investigator, Gavin Burrows, apologised on the show for targeting Prince Harry’s ex-girlfriend Chelsy Davy for surveillance when they were dating.

Burrows told the programme there was much greater interest in Prince Harry than in Prince William when he began working for the erstwhile ‘News of the World’ tabloid in 2000.

“As explained to me by a couple of editors, Harry had basically become the new Diana,” he told the show, with reference to William and Harry’s mother Princess Diana who was killed in a car crash in Paris in 1997.

During the programme, a lawyer for Harry’s wife—Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex—responded to alleged reports dating back to 2018 of her palace staff being under pressure.

“Those stories were false. This narrative that no one can work for the Duchess of Sussex, she was too difficult and demanding as a boss and everyone had to leave, it’s just not true,” Jenny Afia, from the law firm Schillings, told Rajan in the documentary.

The final part of the documentary, to be aired on BBC next Monday, will examine the period from 2018 to 2021. — PTI

Tribune Shorts


Top Stories

Opposition leaders meet Naidu, seek suspension of 12 Rajya Sabha members be revoked

Congress-led opposition walks out of both Houses of Parliament over suspension of 12 MPs

They walk out after Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu de...

Omicron scare: 1,000 travellers from African nations landed in Mumbai in last 15 days; 100 tested

Omicron scare: 1,000 travellers from African nations landed in Mumbai in last 15 days; 100 tested

Swab samples were collected of at least 100 travellers out o...

WHO warns that new virus variant poses ‘very high’ risk

WHO warns that new virus variant poses ‘very high’ risk

The assessment from the UN health agency, contained in a tec...

Vinod Dua remains ‘extremely critical and fragile’, says daughter

Vinod Dua remains ‘extremely critical and fragile’, says daughter

Vinod Dua, who was hospitalised with Covid earlier this year...

Long live ‘debate-less’ parliamentary democracy: Chidambaram’s dig at govt

Long live ‘debate-less’ parliamentary democracy: Chidambaram’s dig at govt

Parliament on Monday passed the bill to repeal the three con...

Cities

View All