DT
PT
Subscribe To Print Edition About The Tribune Code Of Ethics Download App Advertise with us Classifieds
search-icon-img
search-icon-img
Advertisement

Hong Kong's news site shuts down after raid

  • fb
  • twitter
  • whatsapp
  • whatsapp
Advertisement

Hong Kong, December 29

Advertisement

A vocal pro-democracy website in Hong Kong shut down on Wednesday after police raided its office and arrested six current and former editors and board members in a continuing crackdown on dissent in the semi-autonomous Chinese city.

Stand News said in a statement that its website and social media were no longer being updated and would be taken down. It said all employees had been dismissed.

Advertisement

Police raided Stand News’ office earlier in the day after arresting the six, including popular singer and activist Denise Ho, a former board member, on charges of conspiracy to publish a seditious publication.

More than 200 officers were involved in the search, the police said.

Advertisement

Documents of evidence being confiscated. Reuters

They had a warrant to seize relevant journalistic materials under a national security law enacted last year.

The police did not identify who was arrested, but Hong Kong’s South China Morning Post newspaper reported they were one current and one former editor of Stand News, and four former board members, including Ho and former lawmaker Margaret Ng. — AP

Pro-democracy web portal

Stand News was one of the last remaining openly critical voices in Hong Kong following the shuttering of the Apple Daily newspaper, which closed after its publisher, Jimmy Lai, and top editors were arrested and its assets frozen.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tlbr_img1 Classifieds tlbr_img2 Videos tlbr_img3 Premium tlbr_img4 E-Paper tlbr_img5 Shorts