Ivorian opposition presidential candidate’s home burned down

Ivorian opposition presidential candidate’s home burned down

A supporter with a painted face wears a hat with a slogan in relief during a campaign rally for the October 31, 2020, presidential election in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, October 17, 2020. Reuters file photo

Abidjan (Ivory Coast), October 18

Assailants burned down the home of a leading opposition presidential candidate in eastern Ivory Coast while one of his party’s offices came under attack elsewhere, witnesses said on Sunday amid rising tensions two weeks before the election.

A residence belonging to Pascal Affi N’Guessan was set ablaze in his hometown of Bongouanou amid clashes in the area Saturday. Meanwhile, an office belonging to his opposition Ivorian Popular Front party were attacked in the commercial capital of Abidjan.

The unrest comes days after N’Guessan and fellow opposition candidate Henri Konan Bedie called for a boycott of the October 31 election, complaining that the country’s electoral commission is made up entirely of officials from the ruling party.

“We ask all our activists to refrain from participating in both the operation of distribution of voter cards and the election campaign,” N’Guessan said last week in Abidjan, reading the statement with Bedie at his side.

President Alassane Ouattara, who first came to power after the 2010 disputed election whose aftermath left more than 3,000 people dead, is now seeking a third term in office. Ouattara maintains that he can serve a third term because of changes to the country’s constitution, though his opponents consider his candidacy illegal.

Campaigning in the northern city of Bouake, Ouattara insisted there would be no changes in the makeup of the Independent Electoral Commission nor the Constitutional Council that certifies results.

“The elections will take place on October 31. And they will be held in peace,” he said last week. “There will be no postponement of the elections.”

The opposition has criticised Ouattara’s administration for effectively blocking two presidential hopefuls from returning to Ivory Coast: former Ivorian President Laurent Gbagbo and former Prime Minister Guillaume Soro.

Gbagbo has been acquitted of crimes against humanity charges at the International Criminal Court in connection with the 2010-2011 post-electoral violence.

Prosecutors, though, are appealing and in the meantime Ivorian officials have disqualified him from running.

Ivorian authorities, meanwhile, issued an arrest warrant earlier this year for Soro on charges his supporters say are politically motivated, effectively blocking his candidacy too as he has remained in Europe. --- AP

Top Stories

India, US 2+2 talks aim at further ramping up defence and security ties

India, US 2+2 talks aim at further ramping up defence and security ties

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and Defence Minister ...

On 2nd consecutive day, national Covid cases drop below 50,000, deaths below 500

On 2nd consecutive day, national Covid cases drop below 50,000, deaths below 500

This is the fifth consecutive day when the number of active ...

I-T dept raids hawala operatives across Punjab, Haryana, Delhi

I-T dept raids hawala operatives across Punjab, Haryana, Delhi

The searches were carried out on Monday on 42 premises in Pu...

7 children killed, 70 injured in bomb blast at Peshawar seminary

7 children killed, 70 injured in bomb blast at Peshawar seminary

The blast took place in a madrassa where unidentified people...

Punjab Congress MLA Sushil Rinku injured in accident in Nawanshahr

Punjab Congress MLA Sushil Rinku injured in accident in Nawanshahr

His gunman and driver have been hospitalised too

Cities

View All