The Iranian-backed Houthis on Saturday said an Israeli airstrike killed the Prime Minister of the rebel-controlled government in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa. Ahmed al-Rahawi was killed in a Thursday strike in Sanaa, along with a number of ministers, the rebels said in a statement.
The Israeli military said it “precisely struck a Houthi terrorist regime military target in the area of Sanaa in Yemen”. Al-Rahawi, serving as the PM to the Iran-backed Houthi government since August 2024, was targeted along with other ministers during a routine workshop held by the government to evaluate its activities and performance over the past year, the rebels' statement read.
The Houthis have repeatedly launched missiles against Israel throughout Israel's war against Hamas in Gaza. The group says the attacks are in solidarity with the Palestinians. Though most of the missiles launched by Yemen are intercepted by Israel or fragment mid-air, this has done little to deter the attacks. Earlier in the week, Israeli strikes hit multiple areas across Sanaa, killing at least 10 people and wounding 102 others, according to the Houthi-run health ministry and government officials. The Houthis have launched missiles and drones toward Israel and targeted ships in the Red Sea throughout Israel’s war against Hamas in Gaza.
Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium
Take your experience further with Premium access.
Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Already a Member? Sign In Now