Tribune News Service
New Delhi, April 12
India on Monday surpassed Brazil to record the second-highest number of Covid-19 cases at 1,35,27,717 even as a government expert panel on vaccines cleared Sputnik V for emergency use. A record 1,68,912 new infections were reported in a day. The US has the highest number of cases at 3,07,72,857. Active cases have now touched 12,01,009, which is 8.88 per cent of the total.
- Edit: Managing Covid surge
- Four more vaccines in pipeline
- Laxity, mutants to blame: AIIMS chief
- Infections rising fast in UP, Delhi
- Surge triggers migrant exodus 2.0 in Gurugram
Sputnik V shows 91.6% efficacy
- 98% volunteers showed humoral immune response
- 100% showed cellular immune response
- 1.3-1.5 times more antibodies produced than in recovered patients
- 94% adverse events mild
- Shows full protection against severe cases
- Based on a platform proven to be safe over decades of use
- No serious adverse events
- No strong allergies
- No anaphylactic shock
Experts at the national drug regulatory authority on Monday cleared Russia-made vaccine Sputnik V for emergency use at home.
Apex drug regulator, the Central Drug Standard Control Organisation, would soon grant a final approval, taking the number of vaccines available for emergency use to three after SII’s Covishield and Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin.
Sputnik V will be imported from Russia and distributed through Hyderabad-based Dr Reddy’s Laboratories. Dr Reddy’s had, in September last, tied up with Russia’s Gamaleya National Research Centre to conduct bridging studies on Sputnik V among Indians. The India-specific data was studied by CDSCO experts today before recommending its emergency use.
Says oral remarks of Madras high court against EC not part o...
Advocate Mohit D Ram says ‘my values are not in consonance w...
Washington’s changed stance was announced by US Trade Repres...
Court hears 53-year-old COVID patient’s plea for ICU bed wit...
RLD leader was diagnosed positive on April 20