Tribune News Service
New Delhi, April 12
India on Monday surpassed Brazil to record the second-highest number of Covid-19 cases at 1,35,27,717 even as a government expert panel on vaccines cleared Sputnik V for emergency use. A record 1,68,912 new infections were reported in a day. The US has the highest number of cases at 3,07,72,857. Active cases have now touched 12,01,009, which is 8.88 per cent of the total.
- Edit: Managing Covid surge
- Four more vaccines in pipeline
- Laxity, mutants to blame: AIIMS chief
- Infections rising fast in UP, Delhi
- Surge triggers migrant exodus 2.0 in Gurugram
Sputnik V shows 91.6% efficacy
- 98% volunteers showed humoral immune response
- 100% showed cellular immune response
- 1.3-1.5 times more antibodies produced than in recovered patients
- 94% adverse events mild
- Shows full protection against severe cases
- Based on a platform proven to be safe over decades of use
- No serious adverse events
- No strong allergies
- No anaphylactic shock
Experts at the national drug regulatory authority on Monday cleared Russia-made vaccine Sputnik V for emergency use at home.
Apex drug regulator, the Central Drug Standard Control Organisation, would soon grant a final approval, taking the number of vaccines available for emergency use to three after SII’s Covishield and Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin.
Sputnik V will be imported from Russia and distributed through Hyderabad-based Dr Reddy’s Laboratories. Dr Reddy’s had, in September last, tied up with Russia’s Gamaleya National Research Centre to conduct bridging studies on Sputnik V among Indians. The India-specific data was studied by CDSCO experts today before recommending its emergency use.
The legendary Olympian turned critical late Friday evening a...
He became the first Indian athlete to win an individual gold...
New scales from 2016; pay band replaces grade pay
Says bail order to trio can't be treated as precedent