A file photo of Yakub Memon. 1993 Mumbai blasts case29 Jul 2015 | 6:13 PM
NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed Yakub Abdul Razak Memon’s plea against his scheduled execution tomorrow in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case. The court ruled that the TADA Court warrant to hang Yakub Memon tomorrow at 7 am is in order. President Pranab Mukherjee has sent Yakub Memon’s fresh mercy plea to the Union Home Ministry, official sources said.[ + read story ]
New Delhi, July 29
The Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed Yakub Abdul Razak Memon’s plea against his scheduled execution tomorrow in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case.
The court ruled that the TADA Court warrant to hang Yakub Memon tomorrow at 7 am is in order. A three-member Bench headed by Justice Dipak Misra refused to quash the warrant on any ground.
Meanwhile, President Pranab Mukherjee has sent Yakub Memon’s fresh mercy plea to the Union Home Ministry, official sources said.
Memon has been sentenced to death for his role in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts that had left 257 people dead and over 700 injured.
The SC also said there was no violation of the procedure in the rejection of Memon’s curative petition by a Bench comprising three seniormost judges — Chief Justice of India HL Dattu, and Justices TS Thakur and Anil R Dave.
The apex court said it was not inclined to go into the issue of second mercy plea made by Yakub to the Maharashtra Governor.
The Bench rejected the contention of Memon that all legal remedies were not exhausted, including the issue of clemency, saying the President had rejected his mercy petition on April 11, 2014, which was communicated to him on May 26, 2014.
“After the first mercy petition was rejected he did not challenge it and on July 22, 2015, after rejection of his curative petition he filed the second mercy petition. However, how the second mercy petition is going to be dealt with, we are not inclined to go,” the bench said.
The Bench also rejected Memon’s plea that death warrant was issued without hearing him and a mandatory 14-day time frame was not granted in informing him about the date of execution after the rejection of mercy petition.
The order was passed by a three-judge Bench — comprising Justice Dipak Misra, Justice Prafulla C Pant and Justice Amitava Roy — which was constituted to hear afresh Memon's plea after two judges had yesterday given a split order.
A three-judge apex court Bench headed by the Chief Justice had on July 21 rejected Memon's curative petition contending that the grounds raised by him for relief did not fall within principles laid down by the Supreme Court in 2002 in deciding curative pleas.
Memon had claimed he was suffering from schizophrenia since 1996 and has remained behind bars for nearly 20 years, much more than a person serving life term has to spend in jail.
He had earlier sought commutation of death penalty, contending that a convict cannot be awarded life term and the death sentence for the same offence.
The apex court had on June 2, 2014, stayed the execution of Memon and referred his plea to a Constitution Bench as to whether review petitions in death penalty cases be heard in an open court or in chambers.
The apex court had on April 9 this year dismissed Memon's petition seeking review of his death sentence which was upheld on March 21, 2013.
Memon's review petition was heard by a three-judge Bench in an open court in pursuance of the Constitution Bench verdict that the practice of deciding review pleas in chambers be done away with, in cases where death penalty has been awarded.
A total of 12 coordinated blasts had rocked Bombay, as the city was then known, on March 12, 1993, leaving 257 dead and over 700 injured. — With PTI inputs
29 Jul 2015 | 6:41 PM
MUMBAI: Yakub Memon, the only conspirator in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case to be sentenced to death, will be hanged at 7am at the Nagpur jail on Thursday unless President Pranab Mukherjee intervenes, state government sources said here on Wednesday.
29 Jul 2015 | 6:31 PM
LONDON: Reclusive, one-eyed Taliban leader Mullah Omar is dead, an Afghan official said on
Wednesday. The Taliban promptly denied it.
29 Jul 2015 | 2:42 PM
WASHINGTON: The ISIS is preparing to attack India to provoke an Armageddon-like confrontation with the US, according to an internal recruitment document of the feared group which also seeks to unite the Pakistani and Afghan Taliban into a single army of terror.
29 Jul 2015 | 6:24 PM
NEW DELHI: Whistleblower Indian Forest Officer Sanjiv Chaturvedi, who was removed from the post of Chief Vigilance officer at the AIIMS, and founder of NGO Goonj Anshu Gupta are the two Indians selected for this year’s Ramon Magsaysay Award.
29 Jul 2015 | 10:48 AM
NEW DELHI/CHENNAI: The mortal remains of former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam were on Wednesday flown from Delhi to be taken to his hometown Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu.
29 Jul 2015 | 1:16 AM
NEW DELHI: The Tricolour flying half-mast today reflected the sombre mood in the capital as the country right from President Pranab Mukherjee down to ordinary citizens paid homage to former President APJ Abdul Kalam.
29 Jul 2015 | 5:42 PM
ANANTNAG: Eight people, including four CRPF personnel, were injured in a grenade attack carried out by suspected militants in this south Kashmir town on Wednesday.
29 Jul 2015 | 12:50 PM
KAPURTHALA: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Wednesday met the family members of police officer Baljit Singh who died during a terrorist attack at Dina Nagar and paid his last respects to the martyr by laying wreaths on his body.
Terror in Gurdaspur29 Jul 2015 | 1:52 AM
CHANDIGARH: Security agencies investigating material evidence on the ground are getting convinced that the three heavily armed Gurdaspur attackers were Pakistanis who arrived well in advance before the operation and had intruded from the riverine area of Gurdaspur bordering Pakistan.
29 Jul 2015 | 1:39 AM
NEW DELHI: Analysis of the data obtained from the GPS devices used by the terrorists shows that the coordinates of the Dinanagar police station had been pre-programmed to guide the armed group to its destination.
Special to The Tribune29 Jul 2015 | 1:16 AM
A fictional Sikh super man brought to life as a comic book hero — Super Sikh — is winning hearts and minds among young British Sikhs. A stunning 40 per cent of demand for the US-created comic is now coming from the UK.
29 Jul 2015 | 1:27 PM
WASHINGTON: The world's first double hand transplant on a child has been successfully carried out in an eight-year-old boy in the US, after a groundbreaking 10-hour surgery.