7 die cleaning hotel sewer in Vadodara

VADODARA:Seven persons, including four sanitation workers, died on Saturday after inhaling toxic fumes while cleaning sewer of a hotel in Vadodara district of Gujarat, officials said.

Vadodara, June 15

Seven persons, including four sanitation workers, died on Saturday after inhaling toxic fumes while cleaning sewer of a hotel in Vadodara district of Gujarat, officials said.

The incident happened shortly after midnight at Darshan Hotel in Fartikui village of Dabhoi tehsil, around 30 km from Vadodara city, police said. Three employees of the hotel were also among those killed.

The sanitation workers had been roped in to clean the sewer. When one worker failed to come out of the manhole, others went inside to check, but all of them died of asphyxiation. The owner of the hotel, Hassan Abbas Boraniya, is absconding.

Police said the incident took place around 12.30 am.

The Gujarat Government has announced financial assistance of Rs 4 lakh each to the families of the deceased. —  PTI

Cities

View All