Saturday, August 17, 2019
facebook
Chandigarh

Posted at: Jul 20, 2019, 7:55 AM; last updated: Jul 20, 2019, 7:55 AM (IST)

Post-SC order, GMCH counselling on July 23

Post-SC order, GMCH counselling on July 23
GMCH, Chandigarh

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, July 19

The Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH), Sector 32, today announced to conduct the first counselling for admission to the MBBS course under the state quota seats on July 23.

Dr BS Chavan, Director-Principal, GMCH, said the counselling was being scheduled in pursuance of the directions of the Supreme Court in a Special Leave Petition (Civil) titled ‘Aditya Jain vs Bodhadeep Pal’.

The Supreme Court on Thursday had set aside the July 4 order of the Punjab and Haryana High Court. The High Court had directed the UT Administration to implement the condition of passing Classes X, XI and XII from the city for admission to the MBBS course at the GMCH-32 under the UT quota.

With the Supreme Court directions, those who have passed Class XII from the city were eligible for admission to the GMCH under the state quota this session. The Supreme Court upheld the criteria prescribed by the UT Administration for admission in the current academic session.

The condition of passing Classes X, XI and XII from Chandigarh will be implemented in a staggered manner. The eligibility criteria will be only Class XII in 2019, Classes XI and XII in 2020 and Classes X, XI and XII in 2021.

Dr Chavan said the Supreme Court had directed to conduct the counselling within 10 days for the 85 per cent seats under the state quota. An official said they were expecting over 300 candidates at the counselling for 85 per cent of the total 150 seats. The remaining 15 per cent seats had already been filled under the national counselling, he added.

Aggrieved over the decision of the Supreme Court, parents of the local MBBS aspirants said they would file a review petition in the Supreme Court after getting a copy of the order.


The Supreme Court has issued directions to conduct counselling for 85 per cent of the MBBS seats under the state quota within 10 days. — Dr BS Chavan, Director-Principal, GMCH-32

SC upholds UT criteria on MBBS admissions

  • The Supreme Court has upheld the criteria prescribed by the UT Administration for admission to MBBS course for the current session. 
  • The condition of passing Classes X, XI and XII from Chandigarh will be implemented in a staggered manner. 
  • The eligibility criteria will be only Class XII in 2019, Classes XI and XII in 2020 and Classes X, XI and XII in 2021.

COMMENTS

All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On