Tribune News Service
Bathinda, July 18
Following incessant rain in the past two days, the threat of mishaps due to collapse of unsafe buildings looms large in the city.
Reportedly, the MC had conducted a survey and identified 42 unsafe buildings in the city last year, but no concrete step was taken to ensure eviction of residents or commercial property owners from these buildings. However, the civic body has demolished two unsafe buildings here in one year.
On Thursday, a team of MC officials, including building inspectors, inspected unsafe buildings. “The inspection was done in the wake of heavy rain in the past few days. The objective was to see if there was any further damage to these buildings,” said Inderjit Singh, Assistant Town Planner of the MC’s building branch.
The Assistant Town Planner said, “The building branch of the MC had submitted a list of unsafe buildings to the B&R wing, but the latter has not give any response on the matter so far. It can only point out technical faults in these buildings so that further action can be initiated.”
Sources in the MC said efforts were afoot to convince residents or owners of commercial properties, who currently own these unsafe buildings, to evict them and accommodate under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY).
A number of incidents of building collapse have been reported especially during the rainy season in the country in which many people lost their lives.
A majority of these buildings are situated in the old city area near Quila Mubarak, Sirki Bazaar, Sadar Bazaar, Udham Singh Nagar and Mall Godam road.
Ravinder Jaura, XEN, MC, said, “The MC had demolished two unsafe buildings near the railway station area in one year. Evicting residents or traders operating from these unsafe buildings is a tough task and since a majority of the owners of these properties have stay orders from the court, the matter is sub judice now. We can initiate action against unsafe buildings till the final verdict of the court comes. Residents living in these houses for decades are not willing to vacate them.”
Mayor Balwant Rai Nath could not be contacted despite repeated attempts.
All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate. The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
HP stalwart sets target: ‘Some states left, aim to be there’
Two men, also Sikhs, arrested for murder
‘De-radicalisation’ is not as easy as it appears. Most democ...
Search op being carried out daily to check use of mobiles in...
Phulkari-CAN organises 44th cervical cancer awareness sessio...
Demand cancellation of FIRs against them for stubble burning
Over 1,800 students to participate in celebrations
Says no shot fired, cops concocted story
Haryana says ready to leave claim if Punjab returns amount s...
In its verdict earlier, the Delhi HC didn't order blockade l...
Council of Engineers lodges complaint with NGT chief
Have been asked to construct canal for waste discharge
Health Corporation, college authorities blame each other for...
61 cases were reported in 2019; Health Dept taking proactive...