Major fire at Hargobind Nagar factory

Goods, machinery worth lakhs gutted

Major fire at Hargobind Nagar factory

Smoke billows out of the shawl factory in Hargobind Nagar on Tuesday evening. Himanshu Mahajan

Tribune News Service

Tribune News Service

Ludhiana, May 18

A major fire broke out at a shawl manufacturing factory, GS Traders, at Hargobind Nagar here on Tuesday evening. Goods and machinery worth lakhs gutted in the fire. Fortunately, no loss of human lives or any injury to humans reported in the incident.

Aatish Rai, sub-fire officer, who immediately reached the spot along with his team, said over 15 fire tenders were used to completely douse the flames.

“The fire broke out at GS Traders. Factory exists on the ground floor while the owner stays on the first floor. At around 6 pm, some passers-by noticed smoke billowing out from the factory and they alerted the owner and the fire station. Afterwards, family members vacated the first floor and went out as a precautionary measure,” Aatish said.

He said the fire tenders reached the spot within 10 minutes of receiving the information and within one hour, the fire was completely doused.

A huge stock was piled up inside the factory and even some machinery was also present which gutted in the fire. Some of the stock was taken out initially by the owner and residents.

Residents who also participated in the rescue operation said had the fire tenders not reached on time, fire could have spread in nearby buildings.”

It was a residential area and fire could have spread in the area. Residents living near the factory had also left their houses but quick and timely action by fire officials, saved the factory and nearby buildings” said residents. The fire officials said a short circuit was the cause of the fire.