Jaipur, May 8
One child died and 350 people have taken ill in at least four residential colonies of the city since Saturday evening after they drank contaminated water supplied through government’s pipes .
Some 60 people, among them 18 children, have been admitted to three major hospitals in the state capital.
Kanu alias Pragati, 8, died at Jaipuria Government Hospital last night, Chief Medical and Health Officer (II) Dr Ram Prakash Sharma said.
The state government’s Medical and Health Department has been conducting out-patient camps in four localities near Gopalpura bypass and have distributed medicines to more than 350 people suffering from vomiting, stomach upset and dehydration.
Sewer supply leakage in to the water pipes is suspected to be the cause of the poisoning, a government official said.
Citizens held a protest as they placed the child’s body on the road to demand compensation for the affected and action against those responsible.
Meanwhile, health authorities took water and food samples were also collected for testing.
PHED Minister Kiran Maheshwari and Medical and Health Minister R S Rathore visted all three hospitals where patients were admitted to ensure they were treated on priority.
Don't MissView All
Several centrally-protected monuments across the country lit...
Harried passengers take to social media to vent their ire at...
'My aim was never to insult people, their relatives': Israeli filmmaker Nadav Lapid apologises for his remarks on The Kashmir Files
Lapid had stirred a massive controversy by terming Vivek Agn...
Gujarat Assembly Elections: 60 pc turnout in Phase 1 covering 83 seats; Congress alleges booth capturing, bogus voting
Voter turnout less than 66.75 pc recorded in first phase of ...
DigiYatra face recognition system launched at 3 airports; Scindia says data stored in encrypted format
DigiYatra will provide seamless entry and embarkation proces...