Tribune News Service
Amritsar, March 3
A total of 22,997 persons, including healthcare and frontline workers, those above 60 and 45 years with comorbidities have been administered the first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine in the district till Wednesday. Besides, 4,734 healthcare workers have received the second jab.
Out of 24,890 registered healthcare workers (public and private sector), around 46 per cent (11,463) had been inoculated. Among 22,555 registered frontline workers, around 47 per cent (10,739) had been vaccinated.
The vaccination drive for healthcare workers started in the district on January 16 and for frontline workers the drive commenced on February 3. The district health officials said 637 people above 60 years and 158 persons in the age group of 45 to 59 have been administered the dose.
Officials said 346 senior citizens and 84 persons within the age group of 45 to 59 years visited the vaccination centres today. On March 1, only 70 persons were inoculated.
Civil Surgeon Dr Charanjit Singh said considering the age of senior citizens, proper arrangements have been made. He said medical teams remain present during the entire process. None of those above 60 years or any other person who had been vaccinated to date has reported any adverse affect.
Civil Surgeon said senior citizens and middle-aged persons with comorbid conditions were at a more risk of contracting the virus, thus they should get vaccinated at the earliest. He said as surge has been witnessed in positive cases, vaccine can help in boosting the immunity.
Setting the stage for Covid awareness
- A two-day series of street plays kicked off in the city on Wednesday to create awareness on Covid-19 at the Civil Hospital.
- The authorities said a play would be enacted at the Urban Primary Health Centre, Ranjit Avenue, on Thursday highlighting the need for precautions, government programmes, including vaccination and other aspects of the disease
- Civil Surgeon Dr Charanjit Singh said the awareness programme was conducted by the Field Outreach Bureau of the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
- Gurmeet Singh, Field Publicity Officer, said, the second round of vaccination against Covid-19 pandemic has started across the country from March 1. Under this, people over 60 years of age are being vaccinated
Helpline numbers for Covid patients
- City Control Room Numbers: 0183-2500398, 2500498, 2500598
- Health Department helpline: 0183-2535322, 0183-2535323
- Medical helpline: 104
- Contact a doctor: 1800 180 4104
- Bed availability and status: Punjab Covid App (updated daily at 5 pm)
Restrictions to remain in force till further orders
If approved, Sputnik V will be third COVID-19 vaccine to be ...
Action comes following her remarks against central forces an...
The national recovery rate has fallen below 90 per cent
Saffron party says all those advocating approval to Pfizer w...