Tribune News Service
Bathinda, January 5
Scores of farmers under the banner of BKU (Ekta Ugrahan) staged a protest and burnt an effigy of Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Hanuman Chowk here on Wednesday. Farmer leaders said that today’s protest was against the PM’s visit to the state.
Despite rain and cold weather conditions, a large number of farmers gathered at the protest venue and raised slogans against the Union Government and PM before burning latter’s effigy.
Attendees face ire
- Muktsar farmers on Wednesday stopped a few vehicles returning from the PM’s Ferozepur rally venue and insulted them for going to the rally
- “The BJP is responsible for the death of 700 farmers at the Delhi borders. Still, you want to attend BJP’s events,” farmers could be seen telling those returning from the rally in videos
- In response, some people who had attended the BJP’s event claimed that they were paid Rs 500 to participate in the rally
Protest march in Ludhiana
- BKU (Ekta Ugrahan) members on Wednesday protested against the rally of PM Narendra Modi
- Unmindful that the rally had been cancelled, the farmers marched through the city, carrying an effigy of PM Narendra Modi and raising slogans
- Holding a protest at Bharat Nagar Chowk, the BKU activists tore down banners and posters of the BJP rally
Jhanda Singh Jethuke, state senior vice-president of the union, said, “We staged protest today against Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the state today as the Centre has failed to deliver on promises made to farm unions. More than 700 farmers died during the agitation against three agricultural laws brought by the Modi government. Cases registered against farmers during the agitation have not been cancelled by the government yet.”
Don't MissView All
'Both Sidhu and Channi are of the opinion that two cannot le...
Group company chairman N Chandrasekaran meets PM Modi ahead ...
The case is related to a mob of rioters storming the Gurdwar...
The approval has been granted under the New Drugs and Clinic...
The 19-year-old Miram Taron of Jido Village in Upper Siang D...