Kamla Joshi, wife of Musoorie MLA Ganesh Joshi, says “It was a memorable moment for me when my daughter and I posed for a picture wearing traditional dresses and ornaments during her marriage ceremony. I believe traditional dresses and jewellery were part of the hill culture and more people should try to incorporate these in their lives in one form or the other, especially during important ceremonies”.
Comfort and style
- Ornaments and dresses of Uttarakhand do bear some similarities with the dresses of other states indicating the migratory pattern of humans that would have taken place during the Mughal rule and prior to that
- Traditional ornaments and dresses that are usually heavy have made people look for more comfortable options
- Dresses have evolved in Uttarakhand on the basis of economy, requirements and climatic conditions
- Younger generation finds it difficult to handle traditional dresses but is keen to wear them in ceremonies
- Besides other traditional dresses that are still worn, hill women wear Suthan (a long trouser), Patttu (blanket), Chapkan (a type of frock), Dhatu (a piece of cloth square in size and used as a headgear)
- Ornament is the main item where women of this region continue to invest their savings
- Ornament craftsmen particularly make big and huge gold nose rings and heavy studded round necklaces
- Ornaments worn around the waist and on feet were always made of silver
- The revival of traditional dresses and jewellery is important to save the livelihood of craftsmen, tailors and goldsmiths, who belong to lower castes in most of the places
Since the time I started creating sculptures based on traditional dresses and ornaments of the state, my business has improved. This shows a revival of interest in people about our culture and traditions. The government should also assist people like us in promoting and preserving the art and culture of the region. — Chandramohan Baukhandi, traditional craftsman
Indian passengers must take a Covid test three days before d...
Assistance will also be given to kin of those who died of th...
Will pit a strong candidate against PPCC president in 2022 A...
Says no to Centre’s request to allow women in NDA exam from ...
PM’s special flight to US flies over Pak airspace to avoid A...